Thursday, June 26, 2008

Day 55: Hot Sulphur Springs, CO

I am still alive even though I have not posted any pictures recently. We made it through arid eastern Colorado and over Hoosier Pass. The ride down from Hoosier Pass was beautiful and quite exciting. It has a series of hairpin turns and a fair amount of car and RV traffic. The ride down was really fun. I felt like a race car driver making the tight turns. I even reached a speed of 40 mph! Good thing I changed my brake pads before the ascent up the Rockies. The pannier bags make the bike really stable at high speeds due to the low center of gravity.

Our ride from Hoosier Pass ended in Breckenridge where we had a rest day. In Breckenridge, we stayed at a wonderful hostel called Fireside Inn - I forgot how sleeping in a bed can be such a luxury. I spent most of my rest day walking Main Street, visiting Frisco, searching for bookstores, reading in coffee shops and eating. JD and Anna were two other hostel guests that were in town to watch their son play in Breckenridge's symphony orchestra. They had an extra ticket and invited me to join them. The symphony didn't have a dress code, but I was a little under dressed to say the least. Before the concert, I wiped off the chain grease from the back of my leg and put on my best shorts and t-shirt. I seriously doubt Tchaikovsky cared what clothes I wore.

The high altitude has affected all of our bodies to varying degrees. Besides the lack of air, the altitude has increased our flatulence, notably among the elder four in our group. :) Read the Wikipedia article on High Altitude Gas.

We have started heading north to Wyoming. Now that we are over the continental divide, it is all down hill from here...

A view across the reservoir near Pueblo, CO


A beautiful day


Somewhere in arid eastern Colorado


This is the bridge across the Royal Gorge. The view is breathtaking and pictures don't do the beauty justice.


A view from the Royal Gorge bridge


Dad and I on the Royal Gorge bridge. He came to visit and camp with us for the weekend. We had a wonderful time! We took a helicopter tour of the Royal Gorge. It is quite a sight from the air and the pilot was a little more acrobatic than I had expected.



How many bikers does it take to change a flat tire?!? Rick had a frustrating series of flat tires on this particular day. I have had two flats so far.


We made it to the top of Hoosier Pass which is over 11, 500 feet in elevation. Celebrate!


:)


Dillon Reservoir near Breckenridge, CO


Falling rock! (Green Mountain Reservoir near the small village of Heeney)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah, wikipedia. such a treasure trove.

you would find a way to go to a symphony on a cross-country bike tour.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! I especially like your photo at the Summit!

Anonymous said...

Humm your legs are looking beastly strong in the picture. Hope things are still going smooth.

Joanna

Unknown said...

Ahh, so beautuiful! I've been to the Dillon lake several times, I love it!
Talk to you soon!