Thursday, June 12, 2008

Day 41: Newton, KS (rest day)

We are almost halfway across Kansas. We crossed I-35 yesterday but was surprised that it was not under construction as it always is in Texas. Kansas' terrain has been a nice change from the hilly Ozarks of Missouri. This is my first time in Kansas and it is not exactly as I had imagined. I expected there to be absolutely zero hills, extreme heat and little rain. The hills are far and few between yet slow rolling hills do exist. I did not realize Kansas received this much rain. As you will see in the pictures below, many of the fields are saturated and the streams have broken their banks. It has been hot but have not noticed since the extreme winds keep us cool. I am sure we will experience Texas-style heat if the wind ever dies. The wind is as bad as we were expecting. Yesterday, we battled a 30 mph southern crosswind with gusts up to 45 mph. That'll nearly knock you off two wheels and leave you laying in the roadside ditch if you aren't ready and clenching the handlebars. I am thankful the wind is not coming from the west because it would surely reduce our pedaling speed to a mere few miles per hour. One of the highlights of yesterday's ride was when the route turned north for 20 miles. I hoisted my sails and doubled my cruising speed on the flat terrain with the wind at my back. During this portion, I was able to relax, test my no-hands-on-the-handlebar-skills, text message friends while pedaling, etc.



Thus far, the Kansasians have been very considerate of us. Yesterday, a lady stopped her truck to fill up our water bottles. Today, a lady gave Terry $15 for three of us to spend on lunch. In Chanute, Joe and Oliver drove us to get showers, brought us cookies and fruit, drove us to dinner and gave a tour of their town. The Episcopal church in Newton opened their doors for us to stay and one of their members offered us her swimming pool and is delivering lasagna for dinner. My tummy is already calling for it. In Cassoday, we stopped at a gas station to eat lunch. One of the ladies let me try rhubarb pie and gave me her recipe. I have never had rhubarb pie before, but now I know why Garrison Keillor sings so highly about it on Prairie Home Companion. Rhubarb pie cooking skills will be a new attribute I seek in a future wife.







a fellow bike enthusiast (Pittsburg, KS)



where is the Dr. Pepper?!?



riding on water


saturated wheat fields





entering Chanute, KS


'Laughing Jesus' (a prized drawing in the Grace Episcopal church in Chanute, KS)



group photo op (Grace Episcopal Church in Chanute, KS)


Terry is saving yet another turtle from becoming roadkill. I am not sure why he is so worried about this one since we have not seen a car in 20 miles.



any shade will do



Kansas has a long horizon and a big sky




... and the cows are nice here too...see how they have lined up to welcome us


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so, you maced a lap dog...nice.

ha, just teasing. i'd be twitchy after kentucky, too.

i can't believe you're halfway across kansas and i have yet to set foot in an airplane...

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the cows! I can hear dad now making some inappropriate comment...haha

Hope you enjoyed the jerky from back home and your rest day!