Friday, June 13, 2008

Day 42: Sterling, KS

I just finished an easy 60 miles. The day is beautiful with blue skies and a slight breeze. No tornadoes here!

Nickerson is a small town we went through today. As I entered town, I noticed 4 boys in their early teens who where all on BMX bikes terrorizing the town. I had flashbacks to the rock throwing punks in Pippa Pass. They noticed me and one cracked a joke about how I was wearing a rearview mirror on my sunglasses. I guess he has never been run off the road by an 18-wheeler on a highway. They followed me through town until one pulled up beside me. It went like this:

Me: What's up?
Boy: Nothing
Me: Where are you heading?
Boy: The high school. You?
Me: Oregon. Want to race?

His face lit up and he raised off his seat and into the natural Tour de France racing position. He stayed on my tail for a few paces (I chuckled) so I shifted gears and left him in my dust. I heard him yell, "Ok, you win." I kept pedaling toward Oregon knowing I now own that stretch of road through Nickerson.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny!!!

goosemcciy said...

man I needed these posts! Way to represent!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chad!
When you come back, I plan to do some 'lower mileage' rides with you. (The 20 was a little easier today) I don't think I will attempt to race you though...think I would lose that one just like this kid!
I love reading about your experiences on the road!
It's the simple things in life and the small town people that add so much joy to our lives.
Love ya! Mom

Anonymous said...

that was your best entry ever. by far. loved it. just thought you should know.

jason said...

chad this made my day, keep havin a blast, so jealous! bradshaw

Anonymous said...

way to put that 13 yr old in his place. i enjoyed that story.

~ kari

Anonymous said...

Chad I am sorry, but "an easy 60 miles" just does not compute in my head. Sounds like an oxymoron to me. Bring on the Oregon!