Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Day 60: Lander, WY

Thus far, I have said this trip would be deadly without two things: sunblock and my rear view mirror to watch for careless drivers. I must add another to the list - 100% deet. Deet is a strong and very toxic mosquito repellent. It is so toxic that it should not be applied to clothes since it can melt some synthetic fabrics. Surely this stuff also causes cancer. The mosquitoes have become very prevalent in Wyoming to say the least. Before entering Wyoming, we were warned by east-bound TransAm bikers that you must maintain at least 12.5 mph while riding to out run the swarms of mosquitoes. We have found this to be true.

Everyday on the TransAm is a new adventure. Today it was in a poetry book. A few miles west of Jeffrey City, I found a poetry book by Jim Morrison that had been cast out of a car window just to bring joy to my day. I placed the book on top of my handlebar bag and open it to read a few poems as I biked.

Tomorrow, we will take a rest day here in Lander. It has a great Main Street with plenty of things to fill my time. There is a bike shop where I have already eyed a spare tire that I plan to purchase and carry the remainder of the trip since mine are wearing thin. A different bike shop has a 29" unicycle that I will "test ride" tomorrow. It has been two months since I have ridden my unicycle and I think I have been having withdrawals. Plus, I look forward to showing off my unicycle skills to the rest of my group. Lander has a nice bookstore and a great coffee shop where I plan to loiter most of the day. Plus, there is a Shakespeare in the park tomorrow evening. I am sure my cultured biking group will be in attendance. And to prove to you that Lander is a happening place...the RV park where we are tenting had an ice cream social tonight. I chose to eat Mexican food instead of attending the social of the year; although, I should have attended just to take a few pictures of the characters who showed up to the RV ice cream social. Maybe next year...


A roadside chat with yet another biker (near Hot Sulphur Springs, CO)





A portrait of "Rocinante". If I had to give my bike a name, it would be Rocinante which is what Don Quixote named his steed.
(near Hot Sulphur Springs, CO)






Look closely and notice how most of the trees on the distant hillsides are brown. They are dying due to a certain type of beetle capable of destroying miles of trees. We are told there is nothing the park service is able to do other than let nature take its course and wait for a new generation of trees. Ranger Rick has warned us that these dead trees are a risk for forest fires. We saw many of these brown hillsides covered by dead evergreens from Breckenridge to northern Colorado. (photo near Walden, CO)


speeding trap?




Gabby and Caesar - eastern bound TransAm bikers




Yet another state line



This was our homestead for a night in Saratoga, CO. During the middle of the night, I had to leave the tent to use the restroom. I looked up into the night sky and saw a sky filled with stars. I have never seen such a glorious sight. We don't have these kind of stars in the big city.





"I guess we will keep going this way... "


We stayed at a motel in Jeffrey City because the mosquitoes prevented us from camping. The town is nearly a ghost town and has an interesting history. Read the article on Wikipedia about Jeffrey City.



This is rural America! (Sweetwater Station)




At a particular point in our ride today, I looked to the east and all the rocks and hills were a pale gray and to the west it was all red as in this picture. It is amazing to think back over all the land we have crossed and recall all the diverse landscapes. (photo taken east of Lander, WY)



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. so, i think that deet does cause cancer. i feel like i saw some tv special on it. those mosquitoes sound a lot like the ones in my yard.

2.i would like to see that jim morrison poetry book when you get back. when do you return to texas?

3. i'm jealous that you are getting to look at stars. i miss them.

~ kari

Anonymous said...

Chad I can't wait to come in a few days!!! We can't wait to hear about your travels in person!

ps- jerkys on the way

Anonymous said...

i went to round rock donuts. you are correct, it was excellent. and i didn't get pulled over on the way back. maybe that's the secret....

two questions: one, are the sunsets in other states as spectacular as they are in texas? (i tell people they're not but it has been A WHILE since i've experienced them elsewhere.) and two, what (if anything) do you miss most about home?

Chad Rainey said...

Hey Allie,

I am glad you found your way to Round Rock Donuts. Next, you should try Robertson's beef jerky.

To answer your questions...
1. I have seen many spectacular sunsets during my trip, but none are as glorious as those at home. :)
2. I miss my friends and family, Cafe Brazil, Freebird's, Pei Wei, the big wheel, my apartment...

Anonymous said...

mmmm...freebirds

Anonymous said...

why can't we post anymore?