Monday, June 16, 2008

Hospitality and generosity strike again! Pete and Terry met Vivian (a barber in Sterling). Vivian and her daughters hosted us at their coffee shop in Larned which is named "Scraps". Vivian bought us smoothie drinks which hit the spot after the morning ride. They offered us free dinner during the jazz concert at their coffee shop too. Too bad we had already eaten. Scraps is not open on Sunday mornings, but they insisted they open their coffee shop early Sunday morning just for us to stop by, say goodbye and have another free cup of joe. It is the people like this that we meet who are really making this a special trip for us.

Yesterday, I crammed 2 days into one and rode 120 miles from Larned to Scott City. The rest of my group finished in Ness City, but I continued to Scott City where they will meet up with me today as I take a rest day. I slept on the couch at the Athleticlub which commonly houses TransAm bikers. I will stay there again tonight with the rest of my group when they finish their ride today. Even though the couch was a little short for me it was a nice change from sleeping on the ground; however, after 120 miles, I was so exhausted I could have slept on an alligator's back.

This morning I woke at the usual time of 5:45 AM even though I had hoped to sleep late. People started entering Athleticlub to use the pool and weight room, so I decided to search the town for breakfast. The restaurant a block away is closed on Mondays (how convenient) and there was not another breakfast place in sight, so I traveled down Main street and came upon a Wendy's and reluctantly entered. I ate a breakfast taco, but was not satisfied. I asked a local if there was a good breakfast spot and she sent me to the east side of town where I saw a plain building with no less than 15 dirty trucks parked outside. There were not any other types of vehicles...just trucks...big farm trucks. I knew I had hit the jackpot. It was the typical small town smoke-filled diner with old men drinking coffee and talking about their farms, crops and cows. I ate 3 large pancakes and returned to the Athleticlub to take a 9 AM nap.



great humor






I have seen many anti-abortion signs in Kansas. This is yet another.







This is the city park in Sterling, KS with a beautiful pond and walking trail. Cait tells us it is the nicest city park along the Trans American route. It was obvious the community is proud of their park.




I didn't see the sign for bike gypsies, so I used the front door.




These are two typical Kansas scenes. I love the golden fields.





It is Cam and Don again!




100 miles of solitude




Roadside scene




I chuckled when I saw this, but I am sure the early settlers had a different emotion.





Each small town in western Kansas seems to be centered around a grain silo. When one drops off the horizon behind you, there is one peaking over the horizon in front.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

120 miles.

that's......i.....that's......

wow.

Anonymous said...

way to beat your goal! good job chad.

~ kari

Anonymous said...

Whooo,
I am still trying to put your 120 on bike in perspective. You were doing some serious nonstop pumping. Impressive. Really enjoying your stories. Jon Williams

ecs said...

Looks like you are having so much fun! Keep safe!

Anonymous said...

Chad...
Following along and enjoying the updates. Keep up the good work. I take my helmet off to you. Joe S.