Thursday, May 29, 2008

Day 27: Carbondale, IL (rest day)

We recently finished our first 1000 miles and Yorktown is already a faint memory! We are starting to see a few West to East TransAm bikers. I met two yesterday who are from Holland. They are carrying less weight than we are since they are not camping, but they are averaging over 100 miles every day.


We always introduce Terry as the Mayor of Yorkshire when we meet locals. Recently he said, "Where I come from, that is not such a great compliment." Initially we were confused until he said he is not a mare female horse.


Everything is going well and we are in good health. The only thing I am lacking is news. The newspapers in the small towns we frequent every day mainly contain obituaries, high school graduation pictures and classifieds for farm equipment.


I plan to spend the remainder of my rest day in Carbondale watching the new Indiana Jones movie, eating (will probably seek the notorious man in Carbondale who barbecues bagels) and reading (thanks for the books John Williams).



"So after 1000 miles of hills, they finally give us warning." -Mike





a sign graveyard







Caitlin calls this a "rookie tattoo"





My daily dose of ice cream



a confused tree (Harrodsburg, KY)



a mailbox...I think





gone fishin'



replica of he the house Lincoln was born in



a round house



Rick proceeded to tell a joke: Why is it good for a man to live in a round house? Because his wife can never back him into a corner.



Our home for the night at the White Mills Volunteer Fire Department






Taking a break from the rain and lightening

After the storm



Crossing the Ohio River on the ferry between Kentucky and Illinois.




Finally out of Kentucky!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey human eating machine,

We are still faithfully doing our 5+ miles a day for you. Mom laughs and wonders if you are encountering the same hilly terrain as we are in the neighborhood. (I'm sure you have a few more!) You mentioned you were missing the news so here's an update of important world headlines:
1. maggie got groomed today
2. maggie's still chewing up all my clothes
3. mom's through with school and finally beginning to relax
4. I begin training for work next week and
5. dad is still telling the same ole jokes.
6. Georgetown finished their new football stadium and the bball team has played at the BU stadium 3times and won in regional playoffs.

We look forward to visiting and meeting everyone we read about daily! We miss you at the homestead.

- your family :)

Anonymous said...

Wait wait wait...You used a ferry to cross the Ohio River?
I have to check the rules, but I think that means you cheated in our bet to not user ferries to cross rivers. You owe me 5 dollars. Or that ice cream.

Your job is figure out who left this comment. If you can do that, I'll remove the debt.

Anonymous said...

Chad,
It was a true pleasure for Sarah and I to stop and talk to you. You are very inspirational to us both, because you are really living your life. I will stay updated as to your teams progress, and look forward to some of your stories of the road. Thank You, Jon Williams